Cannes 2013 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
So Cannes is almost done for another year, and what with all the gorgeous celebs, dazzling gowns and fancy yachts what's not been to love?
There have been a few noticeable trends emerging in eveningwear at Cannes this year, most notably the shift between two camps - minimal sleek n chic (championed by Carey Mulligan) and good old fashioned glitz and dazzle in the form of exquisite sequin dresses. Here is our pick of the most jaw dropping sequinned gowns:
(L-R) Kristen Scott Thomas in Armani Prive, Alessandra Ambrosia in Roberto Cavalli, Jessica Chastain in Givenchy Couture, Freida Pinto in Sanchita Ajjampur.
How gorgeous is that purple hue against Jessica Chastain's porcelain skintone? We are also seriously crushing on Freida Pinto's 1920's inspired hair and makeup - truly Gatsby-tastic!
At the other end of the spectrum many celebrities chose to take a much more simplistic approach which was both refreshing and equally chic. Cara Delevigne smouldered in her lace insert maxi from Burberry, and Carey Mulligan looked sophisticated and elegant in a monochrome gown from Vionnet.
(L-R) Cara Delevigne in Burberry, Freida Pinto in Gucci, Carey Mulligan in Vionnet, Jessica Chastain in Versace
However there are always a few fashion faux pas at every Red Carpet event, and Cannes has been no exception....
Here are some examples of the bad (& just ugly) fashion choices at Cannes this year >
(L-R) 1. Li Yuchin , 2. Berenice Bejo, 3. Carey Mulligan, 4. Florence Welch
1. Li Yuchin in this Gareth Pugh contraption which resembled an (expensive) Halloween costume. All she needed to complete the look was a matching trident! 2. Berenice Bejo who appears to be channeling the look of Julia Roberts in the runaway bride...meets Wall Street... in this Alexis Mabille Couture look.
3. Carey Mulligan - not because of the gorgeous Dior dress, (which is stunning) - just not on her matching skin and hair colour. The only saving grace is her red lippie, but even that wasn't enough to save her from veering into Casper the friendly ghost territory.
4. Florence Welch in Miu Miu. Totes hideous - no further explanation necessary!
(L-R) Paz Vega, Araya A Hargate, Milla Jovovich
5. Paz Vega in Stephane Rolland Couture - looking a little bit like an A level Textile project gone wrong, it screams 'try hard' and its strange proportions are severely unflattering to boot. Taking of unflattering...
6. This Zac Posen gown worn by Araya A Hargate is a disaster from the waist down. Is it just us or does the crotch detail remind you of a sports jockstrap?
7. This is what happens when Prada tries to do 'gown'. Much as we love you Muccia, this dress looks terrible even on supermodel megababe Milla Jovovich. The top is saggy and ill-fitting and doesn't mesh with skirt at all.
Despite this there were plenty of WOW moments this Cannes Festival like these gorgeous 50's style dresses from Sonaam Kapoor, Nicole Kidman, and Dita Von Teese who all added a touch of old school Hollywood glamour to the festivities.
L-R Sonaam Kapoor in Doce & Gabanne, Nicole Kidman in Christian Dior, Dita Von Teese in Elie Saab
Which was your favourite/least favourite look from Cannes this year?
And which designer dress is on your lust list?